Strawberry plant question?

bigwuheadApril 4, 2008

When I bought my house a year ago, I noticed one of the things that "came back" in the yard was a strawberry plant. There seems to be one bigger one, and a few small stragglers near it. I expect that since it was completely neglected by the previous renter/owners of the house, it will start to thrive, but really I have no idea.

So anyhow, I wanted to see if anyone could share some information on what, if anything I should do for the plant. And forget about me ever being able to eat a strawberry for myself, darn chipmunks! Although, I'm hoping maybe one day...

Anyhow, any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Cristina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogey123

try pulling any weeds around the plants, a balanced fertilizer and use straw around the plant as mulch to keep the weeds down.

The squirrels will thank you.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 3:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daniellalell

Cristina, I think the last people probably thought they took all the plants with them, and left this one behind. They multiply quickly by runners, so you should have a decent lil patch next year. I have had strawberries for maybe 6 years now..never fert, never give them any attention except water when its been dry. Never cut them down, and never mulch. I leave them for the bunnies so they leave my flowers alone, lol. I agree about pulling the weeds, gotta do that. but be careful because alot of times those darn weeds like to grow right at the base of a plant, and when you go to pull it you may pull the plant, they have shallow roots and will come out easily. I suggest holding the strawberry plant down with one hand and pulling the weed with the other.

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Straw Bales for sale in NJ?
Reading "Straw Bale Gardens" and wondering...
jlr518
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
Anyone planning on wintersowing?
I know there's a separate forum for this, but just...
agardenstateof_mind
Anyone Grows Asian Persimmon in NJ/NY?
It appears Asian persimmons are borderline hardy in...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
My neighbor is walking his dog to poop in my yard
I have a neighbor who seems to be "marking territory"...
hackwriter
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Area Rug: MandarIn Brown and Terra 5' 3" x 8' 3"
Home Depot
Planter Saucer Caddy - 14" dia., holds up to 250 lbs.
Grandin Road
Silk 38-inch Delphinium Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Red Delight Faux Floral - MULTI COLORS
$350.00 | Horchow
Wellington Planter
Grandin Road
Gun Metal Check Metal 14-inch Planter (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Half Moon Console
$559.99 | Dot & Bo
Rose Nosegay Bouquet
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™