Weed killer in the veg garden

jazzersaxmanJuly 30, 2009

I just had a landscaper clean up my yard and he began spraying the weeds(he said RoundUp)in my veg garden...I stopped him after I saw him right next to my tomatos...I am nervous that he sprayed in my garden and that the chemical will make it so I shouldn't eat my tomatos...what should I do??? The landscaper said this breaks down in 2-3 days and is fine, but what should I think...

help...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Your plants will not be poisoned by the use or RoundUp, since it is sprayed lightly on the foliage of the plants that are needing to be eliminated. There is NO reason for this chemical to ever touch the soil, whatsoever. However, even the smallest amount of mist can cause damage to desirable plants. Keep an eye out on your tomatoes and others for signs.

I personally feel that weeds in the veggie garden should be hand weeded and you should certainly remind him of that the next time he comes to your yard.

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jazzersaxman

Thanks for the input. The grass has just started to die around the tomato plants. He might have caught a few leaves of the tomatoes but overall just the grass. I totally agree that weeds should be hand weeded...that's why I am so concerned - I never use chemicals near my veg garden...

Thanks again.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:35AM
More Discussions
Need advice on tackling front garden
Hello all, I just bought a house a few months ago,...
Arthaith Swan
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
succulent plant needs help! yellow leaves and bending
Hi i was hoping someone could help me figure out what...
bcactus123
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™