First Lawn

XahkJuly 13, 2012

Hello everyone, I recently moved into a new townhouse and for the first time have a backyard (incredibly small as it is). I would like to have some actual grass and a pleasant looking yard. I have no experience with gardening and I'm not really sure where to begin. If anyone has any advice on how to start a project like this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

I'd begin by getting rid of that weed tree at your fence. Looks like it may be an Ailanthus - Tree of Heaven. But whatever sort of tree it is, it will take out the fence.

I doubt you truly want grass if the only place for it is in the square at the upper right of your picture. (With a mini-lawn there, recall that you'll also need a mower.)

How about getting a low growing green-all-year groundcover instead? And/or some perennials, flowering & evergreen?

If you're new to Florida, contact your county's Extension Service office as they can make appropriate suggestions. locate your office with this map http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

And/or go to a nearby large garden center. Nowadays most have consulting services priced at various levels such as these-
- look at your pictures and suggest
- come to your place to look & suggest
- for a fee, draw a plan for you
- for a fee, send out a crew to install what you want

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 4:11PM
Xahk

Thank you for your advice, I ended up installing some palmetto sod, they say it should be good in direct sunlight for most of the day. and I laid down about an inch of lawn soil beforehand. And I guess at some point during the year I should use some fertilizer? so hopefully it'll turn out okay after a while.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 1:13PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

It looks very nice - good luck with it!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
valencia orange tree
We bought a Valencia tree 4 or 5 years ago and its...
coralroses
Falling over fairy cactus
Hello, My Friend got me a fairy cactus and its falling...
tinytigereryes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™