How to care for 'gift' hydrangea

tulipsmiles(6 South of Boston)February 27, 2012

I recently received a small potted hydrangea from a friend. It is not the kind you would buy at home depot or a nursery but rather a small hydrangea that has been forced to bloom and seems almost for decoration only.

Can I keep this and plant it in yard when ground thaws? (I don't even know if the ground is frozen!) I'm assuming it's too soon to do anything with it just yet. The leaves are starting to shrivel and I've watered it daily. The pot is small so it dries out quickly.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

Some of these plants are not hardy, but it's worth giving it a try. I'd re-pot it, into a container that's a couple of inches bigger around than what it's in. Then I'd keep it in a cool spot, out of direct sun, and keep it somewhat dry. It's too late to get it to go completely dormant, but you want it to take a little rest anyway.

The bigger pot and the partial shade should make it easier to stop watering it daily.

You might find more info on the hydrangea forum.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 9:05PM
molie(z6 CT)

Same thing happened to me about 6 years ago when someone from Manhattan brought me a hydrangea as a hostess gift.

Are there any markings or tags on the plant to identify the grower? I ask because I found one on the florist's tag and called the company that grew the plant. They told me its name (which I've forgotten) and that it would not be hardy in my climate but I decided to give it a try. I kept it in a cool spot (no direct sun or heat) until spring.

Then I put the plant outside under a bush for several weeks to get it adjusted to the great outdoors. I planting it in a sheltered area on the side of the house where it was protected from winds. That tiny plant is now about 4 feet tall and just as wide. It's a blooming machine. So you never know.

DtD gave you great advice about slowing it down and getting it ready for the outdoors.

Molie

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 10:20AM
tulipsmiles(6 South of Boston)

Thank you to the both of you! I would love to have it in my yard, so I'll follow your direction.
Your info is much appreciated!

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™