Garden Centers - Greenhouses - Big Box Stores - Specialty Stores

topnotchveggieApril 6, 2006

I am interesting in learning about any retailers (consumer or wholesale) that sell gardening products (supplies,seeds, soils) at lower (discount) prices. What are some of your favorites? If so, please add thier contact information including website etc. if applicable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inguvap(z6 NJ)

I am not looking to get into any arguments by saying this but I usually buy garden products from wal-mart or homedepot. For example, Wal-mart started selling Superthrive and Alaskan Fish emulsion last year (at least in a local store) and They are 20 to 25% cheaper than anywhere else. But If need good plants like Camellia, Wisteria or any other special plants, I would go to local nurseries. I live in East Windsor and I like to go to Ostrich Farms in Robinsville, Tony's and Timothy's on Rt 130, Hagerty's in Cranbury, Cominsky's and CornerCopia in East Windsor. I also go to Brock Farms in Freehold. All these nurseries are prettly good and not very expensive but I still compare prices with Walmart and HD before I buy any fertilizers and stuff.
Padma.

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 10:07AM
Kathy(9a)

Brocks! We're heading down there and to Dearborn Farms tomorrow.

To be honest, I shop all over. We bought 12 boxed roses at Dearborn Farms last spring, but I got some really nice potted roses in Lowe's (Woodbridge, Jersey City, and Old Bridge) and Wal-Mart (Secaucus, Cinnamonson, and Old Bridge) -- all of them did really well, and have leafed out like crazy this spring.

Like you, I've been buying Superthrive at Wal-mart (it's not out yet, and I don't have all that much left right now -- and not every store had it, either) as well as fish emulsion. We got some great annuals there to fill in the gaps in the plants we bought in Van Wingerden's and Gro-Rite up in Lincoln Park.

I get potting soil for my containers and garden soil to beef up the beds in Lowe's, and I get mulch there, too. I get pots and little plastic garden fencing in Wal-Mart. Home Depot was disappointing last year, especially since we'd gotten some wonderful roses there in the past (in Clifton and Woodbridge). But Clifton's garden center has gone -way- downhill, and Woodbridge isn't what is used to be.

But none of them compare to Hoverman's, now sadly closed.

Bookmark   April 8, 2006 at 4:48PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Stuff like standard Bayer or Ortho products, I go to the boxes or WalMart. Costco and BJ's usually have the big bag of Holly Tone, otherwise I'll get it at Becker in Colts Neck. Becker and Brock also have pieces that fit my drip irrigation system. Brock has many items that I usually have to mail order, so that's good. Oh, Forcelatti's in Wall (just a bit north on 35 from the Circus Drive-In) is good in a pinch. I don't do many annuals, and I get most perennials (roses) via mail, but Sickles has a nice discount on roses on their Rose Day, and I might pick up a couple there. There are a couple more small hardware stores in the area I need to check out just for general info. The Plant Outlet in Red Bank carried a nice selection, but they have closed.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 11:37AM
hvenkatr(Z6 NJ USA)

Hi guys,
I am logging back after almost a year..
I shop alll over as well.. I live in west windsor and some times I travel as far as Barnegat or North Jersey to pick up plants..
Happy gardening!

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 1:27PM
Kathy(9a)

Diane, when is Sickel's having their Rose Day?

I got fie roses yesterday -- three in Brock's on Route 9 (10% off J&P boxed roses), two in Dearborn Farms (they opened their new greenhouse, which is really an expansion of their retail floor space). We had really good luck with the boxed babies we got at Dearborn Farms last year (and, surprisingly, with the potted roses we got at Wal-Mart).

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 3:20PM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Kathy, it's Saturday, May 8th.

Bookmark   April 11, 2006 at 3:21PM
Kathy(9a)

Thanks, Diane.

May 8th, huh? That's the week in between the Derby and the Preakness -- I won't be glued to the TV. I wonder if my husband can get off work.

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
Where to get pine bark fine in north Jersey?
I had good luck with 5-1-1 but had yet to find a good...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
Anyone Grows Asian Persimmon in NJ/NY?
It appears Asian persimmons are borderline hardy in...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
Sponsored Products
Hampton Dark Brown Cherry 72-inch Round Dining Table
Overstock.com
Safavieh Lyndhurst Zen Gardens Brown Rug (5'3 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Magic Garden Standing Mirror
$114.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Dudley
Home Depot
Magic Garden Standing Mirror
Classic Hostess
Flower Garden Pink and White Five-Light Chandelier with White and Pink Petal Sha
$543.00 | Bellacor
Courtyard Anthracite and Light Grey Round: 6 Ft. 7 In. x 6 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$113.95 | Bellacor
Hold All Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Black LED Dragonfly Solar Path Light
$12.98 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™