salad days INDEED

spellcheckJuly 13, 2005

what are the basic soil / water / nutrient requirements for growing a fair to quality head of lettuce?

i planted one of those packets 'mescula mix' or something to that effect, and it is incredibly bitter. so much so that it kinda burns my poor mouth

and it is not as though it has been harvested all summer (last year's lettuce became bitter after 3-4 trimmings)

the other standard green variety at the beginning of the leafy veg row is a little bitter too but not nearly as bad. the spinach at the end of the row is just fine.

what is going on? etc

much appreciated / josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueheron(z6 PA)

Josh, mesclun mix or any kind of lettuce prefers cool temperatures. I don't know where you are located in PA, but here in zone 6, we've been having hot, hot weather! Lettuce will rapidly go to seed and become bitter in those kinds of temps.

As for the requirements, lettuce prefers loose, fertile, well-drained soil. (As does most everything else. LOL).

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 5:41PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Plus, I think that some of those lettuces are naturally bitter, much like their close relative....wild lettuce. The bitterness just hasn't been bred out of them, like we've done to the others! So maybe it's a combination of genetics plus temperatures?

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 5:45PM
spellcheck

you know, that would make sense
as it has been wildly hot this summer

i am considering growing some indoors just to have on hand. along with maybe some broccoli. it would be nicer than going to the grocery.

thanks for the input, both of you

yours / josh

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
succulent plant needs help! yellow leaves and bending
Hi i was hoping someone could help me figure out what...
bcactus123
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™