Report on Providence Flower & Garden Show

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)February 22, 2013

It was worth going to Providence, a 1-hour drive, if only for the hit of green growing plants, blooming tulips and for chat with RI experts. Not as big as previous years, the space allowed us all to move around more easily. I bought loads of veg. seeds (and didn't have to pay for shipping, this way!) some lovely soaps, and clever colored drawings of patent applications, as gifts. Did you know that Plant Patent No. 1 was the New Dawn rose?

Listened to Julie Moir Messervy tell us how wonderful gardens are, how fun it is to be in one, and so forth. I was definitely underwhelmed. She seems to be overusing one form in her work: the spiral. Now it's her logo too. It was all so poetical and inspirational, but I longed to hear practical advice. Maybe the demonstrations taking place in the other rooms, took care of that.
The book store, as usual, was my favorite place to linger. Got "Scats and Tracks of the Northeast", very useful in the snow; and "Seascape Gardening" by Anne Halpin, published 2006, full of good photos.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself Carol. It's been years since I've been to a flower show.

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 10:01PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks for the report, I enjoyed hearing about your trip. I haven't gone to a flower show in quite some time too. Sounds like fun.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 3:06AM
diggingthedirt

This was the first time I missed the PVD show in several years - I was out of town for a party that I just couldn't skip. It was in the Hudson River valley, and I have to say that spring seems to be arriving there already.

Thanks for the review, Carol! Are you also going to the Boston show? I think I'm going to miss that one this year, too, I'm supposed to be going to New Jersey that week. Luckily our farmers market is held at Mahoneys at this time of year, so I get a little shot of greenery every weekend.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 5:21PM
sedum37(Z5 MA)

We went to the flower show in RI this year. As always the gardens and talks were great! We went to a talk on the NY Botanical Garden and the flower shows.events they have each year. Now it makes me want to go for a visit. Also went to a talk on raising Honey Bees which provided samples honey and descriptions of their lives and care. The sand sculpure exhibit was interesting also as been a mainstay last few years. I have some photos in the link below but this year the photos didn't come out as good. The show was more impressive than the photos indicate.

Here is a link that might be useful: RI 2013 Flower Show Photos

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:16PM
More Discussions
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™