Milkweed cuttings

jimmymonto(5)June 7, 2013

Anyone have any luck getting milkweed to root from cuttings? I was forced into cutting down a HUGE patch of common milkweed at my rental property, and because of the tap roots, there is just no easy way to move them.
I have cut them all off, and have them in water for now...and they are very alive. I'm panicking that once I hormone dip them and try to root them that I'll lose them.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wildflowergma

This may help, but remember the cuttings should be about 3-6 inches in length, and the top portions of the plant work best in MHO.

Propagating milkweeds from cuttings:

To start cuttings, cut the stems underwater, then dip in rooting hormone. The cuttings should be placed in sand, vermiculite, or potting soil that is kept continuously moist. Best cuttings are made from stems 1/3 inch diameter.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 10:04AM
Wildflowergma

Also, I have moved Asclepias tuberosa several times and have had no trouble with reestablishing the plants because of the taproot.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 10:09AM
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

If your cuttings don't root, all is not lost. I find starting common milkweed by seed is extremely easy and it grows very fast. By the second year, you should have another nice patch, by the third year, great huge plants once again.

I live in the city on a small lot and I grow my common milkweed in huge pots to keep it from spreading into unwanted places by underground nodes. It grows very well in these huge pots, too. I find it about the easiest of the perennial milkweed to grow by seed.

Mary

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™