controlling weeds along a fence

LombillJuly 15, 2011

My yard borders a detention pond owned by a church. Imagine my yard with grass, then a chain link fence, then a berm of about six inches wide held up by railroad ties, then the grassy slope down to the pond. The church will mow the pond area about once every two weeks but they won't trim along the fence. As a result, all sorts of weeds grow on that berm and are invading my yard.

The plus side is the church people are nice and they've given me permission to do whatever I want in that area. Is there something I can plant along the fence that will expand onto that berm and act as weed control? It's in full sun. Scatter some kind of seeds? Plant something short and bushy? Plant something viney? I've got about 70 feet of fence there, so something on the cheap is a plus.

A secondary issue is the fence along the back: same problem, but in shade.

Any ideas are much appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

I think that if I were faced with that, I would put down newspaper over the berm, and then dump several inches of wood chips over the paper (the kind that are free from the tree guys). It would be a lot of work, and it depends on being able to get the wood chips near the pond, but it would be free, and would last at least a couple of years. Top up the wood chips every so year or so, and you'll be good for a long time.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 3:33PM
Lombill

Sadly, I tried that. I hacked down all the weeds, pulled up what I could by the roots, and laid down about four inches of wood chips. The weeds are more exotic looking and taller than ever.

That's why I thought maybe I should fight fire with fire: plant something so thick that the weeds can't grow. I'm hesitant to use any weed killer because I'm unsure how it would react to my side of the yard.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Bookmark   July 21, 2011 at 12:44PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Fencelines are especially vulnerable to weed infestations because birds sit on the fence and "deposit" the seeds. Without the newspaper or cardboard barrier under the wood chips, you essentially fertilized the weeds.

That sounds like a lot of hard work that you did, and a lot of time spent. Wouldn't it just take a few minutes a couple times a month with a weed-wacker to keep this under control? As long as they aren't allowed to make seeds, your mower should stop the weeds at the fenceline. Weeds will grow back even if you spray them because many will not be killed and new seeds are always there, waiting to sprout.

If it were me, I would consider this free planting space since you said you have permission to "do whatever you want." Once you smother the existing weeds, you have a perfect place next year to plant tomatoes, cukes, zukes, cantaloupe, beans, peas, morning glories, clematis, climbing roses, any kind of viney thing that would grow on a CL fence. 70 feet is enough space to grow a TON of many different foods or a really awesome flower show - or some of both! Cardboard smothering now, food next year.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Pumpkin flower (hydroponic)
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie. I experimented with planting...
stephiepoopy
`Pest Control for a newbie
Hi, I have a small patch of garden that has been pretty...
fleabernal1983
Sponsored Products
Master Mark Plastics Landscape Contractor Edging - 1432-4131
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Wall Mounted Waterton 1-Light Outdoor Dark Ridge
$39.97 | Home Depot
Gray Lattice Windsor Rug
$99.99 | zulily
Four-Pot Trellis
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Gated Glass 12 Inch Semi Flush-Mount -Brushed Nickel
$207.10 | Bellacor