yuccas - when to cut stems down?

bobby1973July 14, 2006

I was just wondering when it's safe to cut yucca stems down once they've finished flowering? Can you do it immediately, or are they similar to bulbs in that you should wait 6-8 weeks before cutting the stems so that they can transfer energy back down to the roots?

thanks so much!

bobby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynne_jeffreys_3web_net

I had one before but can't remember at what stage it was in. I think after it flowered.It has been awhile since I had one with a flower.
I have one, how long before a new one flowers?
Blacky1

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 10:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

It's primarily the leaves which are needed for energy conservation. The leaves of bulbs are left uncut as long as they are green, which may be a couple weeks or up to a couple months or longer. I have some lily bulbs which have green leaves from early spring to after frost, although they only bloom for a few weeks in the summer.

A general rule of thumb is to cut the blossom stems after the blooming is finished, usually when the stem turns yellowish. If you are saving seed, then the seedhead should be completely dried.

Blacky1 - Local to me, most yucca blooms annually, that is, once a year. However, there are several species, and I think I've read that some species bloom only on established new growth (2 year old plants?). I also understand that an excess of water can deter the blooming.

Bookmark   July 17, 2006 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Front of house needs advice to make front look more appealing
Please help with some ideas for planting perennials...
Carol Ann
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Need advice on tackling front garden
Hello all, I just bought a house a few months ago,...
Arthaith Swan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™