virginia creeper on fencing

hayley1999_99(Upper Michigan)July 9, 2013

if I have a chain link fence and grow virgina creeper on my side, in my yard...not the sidewalk side..will the berries/fruit that are not safe to eat grown on out onto the sidewalk side or will it stay on my side in my yard?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Both sides, would be my guess.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:14AM
wisconsitom

Yes, both sides. Are the berries unsafe to eat though? I'd not heard that. tghey're related to grapes.

+oM

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 2:50PM
bostedo(8a tx-bp-dfw)

I've seen info on the berries range from mildly to highly toxic for humans. I'd assume the worse case... especially for children. Not so important to eliminate the berries, but good to be aware that they are poisonous should some person or pet happen to get into them.

We've had VC covering a 3 ft deep bed and up the 50 ft wide brick veneer wall on the north side of the house where we have to trim it aggressively to keep it from reaching the wooden frieze board and soffit. The full shade and/or regular trimmings result in no berries.... or fall color :-( So it's possible to eliminate the berry risk if it's a concern with the right conditions and a bit of regular work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poisonous Plants of NC: Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 12:14AM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

There is no question it will grow through to both sides. I've been trying to get some ripe berries for years, but they get eaten so,fast by birds and animals that I never find a ripe one. This year I put little drawstring bags over a few branches so I can collect seed to plant along my fence. Are you concerned about people passing by picking the berries and eating them? IMO if someone is old enough to be walking by unsupervised, they should have been taught not to eat strange berries in other people's yards. You shouldn't have to worry about them.

Martha

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 6:47PM
hayley1999_99(Upper Michigan)

I totally agree, but that's just not how it is here. Even though our crime rate is above the nat'l average little kids get to roam the neighborhood doing what they want basically.

So I'd be dealing with little kids probably picking these

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:30AM
c2g(6)

I've been letting VC run wild on my garage for the past few years and it's almost completely covered at this point. I have a lot of bird traffic in my yard, so the berries don't last too long.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™