Vines for a FL pergola

BobJuly 7, 2006

I built a large pergola over my deck. I'm looking for a moderately fast growing vine (not as fast a passion vine!) that will provide shade to the sitting area and maybe some nice flowers. I love bougainvillea but they can be messy. It will have full sun and water available. Appreciate any thoughts!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Dregea? Tecoma? (Solandra? May be a 'bit much'.)

Bookmark   July 8, 2006 at 6:29AM
Mystyspassion(Z6 NJ)

Hi; I have a few suggestions; Certain types of Jasmine grow very slowly and will give cover eventually and the flowers have the most calming fragrance. Jasmine Azoricum; I have this Jasmine and it does grow slow; but it is a sturdy plant. There is also jasmine Officinale.

I also have Aristolochia Ringens, often called "Dutchman's Pipes; beautiful small flowers and unique looking as well. Mine is growing very slow but I was told that it grows quick; Im not sure I can go by things this year; we've been having a weird growing season in NJ. Also the Passionflower Citrina grows pretty slow; there are a few passionflowers that grow slow and also have small flowers.

How about Honeysuckle, I would say it's a moderate speed grower and has a great aroma; mix the Honeysuckle with the jasmine and you will have some great Nightime Aroma's as well.

Hope this helped
Good Luck
Chris

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 3:17PM
corgicorner(Mass 6/7)

Somebody else suggested Honeysuckle, which is the "common" name. Lonicera is the name by which you will locate it most easily. Mandevilla is another vine-like plant which you might look into. My suggestion would be to go to your area garden center and ask their advise.
P.S. You might inquire about Brugmansias. They are NOT a vine, and you would have to work on "training" them, but they have HUGE flowers.

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
New home with huge garden space - what to plant?
We are moving into our new home this weekend. The...
Nicole Mott
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™