need advice for climber on arbor

royy(Z7)April 6, 2007

I am going to build an arbor and I want to have a climber on each side eventully cover the structure. I was thinking of using a climbing rose or a clematis. I really don't know squat about either of these plants, but I like the look of them. I guess I need a suggestion for which type would be good.

Since I don't have a ton of time they would need to be easy maintenance. The structure is in full sun and will be watered with a soaker hose. I know roses don't like too much water on the foliage. Flower color is not of major concern either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

To compound your dilemna,I would suggest you look on the web at a place called Gardenvines.com or Brushwood Nursery. They will give you a vast choice and you will have to chose, after reading seperately about each one. I am a customer of theirs but in no way commercially involved with them. I have roses, since my wife loves them, but no climbers. I grow the following vines: Honeysuckles of 6 kinds. 3 that smell good but do not bloom all summer and 3 odorless but blooming on and off April to November.
4 Jasmine relatives that have no odor and bloom briefly
Akebia quinata,which can be too vigorous.
At least 5 kinds of Clematis. Only Polish Spirit seems to bloom for a long time for me.
Crossvine, with little success.
Trumpetvine, too big and rampant for your purpose.
Gloryvine, too big also.
If I were to grow a climbing rose, I would like climbing Joseph's Coat, but there are many and the newer ones might be more disease resistant. If you fail with a plant, ask a successful neighbor about his or hers. They might be like me and have too much to say and be anxious to share info.

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 7:41AM
Loretta NJ Z6

What size is the arbor? Are you going to prune at all? Are you willing to tie and train?

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 12:15PM
tinylady(07 NJ)

I need info also for a arbor in partial shade.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 9:01AM
royy(Z7)

I would be willing to prune and train, but I just don't want a rose that I have to spray every week and baby it. I just don't have the time.

Bogturtle, thanks for the info. I am going to check that out.

My wife thinks I should just plant Mandavillas as an annual every year. They are very nice and grow pretty fast, so I may do that. Plus they bloom all summer, which is a big factor in my decision. I just don't like dropping around $15-$20 for a plant that will be an annual every year.

Roy

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 9:33PM
Annie_nj(z6b)

Hi Roy

Mandavillas can be overwintered inside. I cut mine back to 12"-18", put in a barely heated breezeway, and watered once a month, and it did fine. I don't do indoor plants much, so one year I let it go. I kept it in a pot for ease in moving.

They are beautiful though.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
My neighbor is walking his dog to poop in my yard
I have a neighbor who seems to be "marking territory"...
hackwriter
Anyone starting seeds this weekend?
I have all my supplies and seeds, but I have been hesitant...
eterprincess
WANTED: Wanted: Garlic to Plant
I'm in central NJ, somerset county. I'd like to get...
achang89
First Snow of the Season
First snow here in coastal Monmouth. I ran out and...
agardenstateof_mind
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™