cone flower wilt?

alaMel(4a)July 11, 2011

My cone flower heads droop off and on. Is this normal. They are supposedly drought tolerant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Drought tolerant means that they won't die if they get dry; it doesn't mean that they won't show it. I'd guess that yours could use some water.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 11:39AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Drought tolerance means that a certain plant requires water less frequently than other species. There are varying degrees of drought tolerance to consider, too.

I consider Echinacea pretty darned tolerant of fairly long periods between rain or watering, but still requiring deep watering when 'it's time'. If your plants are not able to get enough water to keep the stems turgid, then you'll see wilting occur. Water DEEPLY when that happens...no little sips.

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 12:10PM
alaMel(4a)

Seems they take a gallon or two of water every two days. They are taking water like my hydrangia. It just seems strange to me. I flood my garden bed regularly. Two days later it weeps. Should I be using a sprinkler instead for longer periods?

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 5:56PM
alaMel(4a)

Ok so this is definaely not a water issue. I soaked these yesterday morninf, last night it rained most of the night(light sprinkle). Today it has been mild(68), overcast and misting all day. They have gone limp again. Does anyone know of anything else that could cause this??

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
valencia orange tree
We bought a Valencia tree 4 or 5 years ago and its...
coralroses
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™