Vermiculite/Perlite?

nancemApril 8, 2006

It's been awhile for me...one or both of these are used to improve drainage correct? What's the difference between them? One cheaper than the other?

I'll be planing verbena (the annual kind which did great for about 7 years and eventually died out). Any other suggestions on how to prep the soil for verbena and any thoughts on a nice annual to intersperse with them? I presume I can't start these from seed now...or if I could, I wouldn't get blooms this years...correct? Anyone know of any good nursery with quality verbena at a reasonable price? I'm in the south end of Tinton Falls.

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mprats(z6NJ Plainfield)

What a coincidence: I was watching Martha Stewart's new gardening DVD on Saturday, and a guest in her show (the owner of Heronswood nursery in the Pacific NW) mentioned that vermiculite gets compacted and heavy over time, so it is not recommended in a seed mix for seeds that take a long time to sprout. He recommended perlite instead.

Bookmark   April 10, 2006 at 11:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

Usually the recipe for seed starting mixes includes both but since the scare with asbestos in vermiculite, I see it omitted. Here is a link that explains the difference between the two on the NY American Rhod. Society.

Verbena is commonly sold by the flat at many nurseries. You won't have a problem finding them. I've never prepared the soil special for them. Just the same as any other annual.

Isn't Barlow's in Sea Girt near you? I've never been there but my SIL who lives near there is always talking about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perlite vs. Vermiculite

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 5:31PM
More Discussions
Excellent Presentation Today - Functional Landscapes
This afternoon I drove up to Frelinghuysen Arboretum...
agardenstateof_mind
Birds Ruining My Mountain Laurels
Yesterday, I had my arborist come by to review some...
Laurie
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
The ABC's of Vegetable Gardening, Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:00
Think “Spring”! Southard Grange #218 is happy to...
a_holovacs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™