Is this Phlox Divartica?

kristin_flower(4a)July 26, 2008

I purchased the seed on the internet and winter sowed them. Somehow it doesn't look like what I thought it would look like. It hasn't bloomed either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

No, I don't think it is. Reminds me a bit of Wild Quinine, Parthenium integrifolium, but that doesn't mean it is that either.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 2:18PM
terrestrial_man(9)

It is possible. This phlox is the kind that has tall flower stalks. I think the phlox name is wrong it should be divaricata. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phlox divaricata

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 9:45PM
kristin_flower(4a)

Thanks for the link. This makes me feel a little better about it actually being phlox divaricata. Would it be normal for it not to bloom in its first year? It's in a semi shady spot, but there's enough sun for it to bloom.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 1:36AM
giantslug(4b/5 SW Minnesota)

It is definitely not Phlox divaricata, i don't know what it is though.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 3:02PM
kristin_flower(4a)

The leaves appear to resemble the phlox divaricata leaves pictured and described in the link terrestrial man provided, except maybe bigger. There are also tiny little hairs all over the stems as well as the leaves.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 4:28PM
esh_ga

While the leaves in his link do resemble those of your plant, the leaves are not in fact arranged the way your plant's are. The link is deceptive in how it shows those leaves by themselves.

The picture linked below might give you a better picture of the habit.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 5:35PM
Soeur(z6b TN)

I'd say it's not a phlox of any sort. The Parthenium (wild quinine) I've grown has more defined and regular edge serration on the leaf nor is it downy, so I'm thinking it's not that, either. I'm not sure what this is, although I've seen some young erigeron (fleabane) that it rather resembles.

Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 9:21AM
dbs_illinois_4(z4b Illinois)

Certainly nothing like Phlox divaricata. I wonder if that is what the first-year Dianthus barbatus (Sweet William) plants look like? Since Wild Sweet William is a name applied to our phloxes, that might have led to the confusion. Of course, I couldn't find any pictures of D. barbatus seedlings, so it's just a guess. Maybe you could try posting it on the Cottage Garden forum?

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 10:29AM
dbs_illinois_4(z4b Illinois)

Oh, and just try the Name That Plant forum. Most everything gets ID'd on there eventually!

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 10:32AM
lemecdutex(z15 CA Petaluma)

I don't think it's any kind of phlox. At first I thought it might be some form of Campanula, but somehow that doesn't seem right either. Looking at it more, it makes me think of possibly some form of aster, or maybe a goldenrod, though I don't know the latter well enough. I'd check into asters though, it definitely has the look of some of them.

--Ron

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 12:48PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I agree. It is definitely not Phlox Divartica.

If you don't get an ID here at GW anywhere, could you possibly email the site where you purchased the seed?

The foliage of Phlox Divartica is very fine and wispy.

Sue

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 9:36PM
kristin_flower(4a)

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the site I purchased the seeds from. I had the impression it was a lady with a home based business. I guess her seeds must have gotten mixed up.

Whatever it is, it was very easy to winter sow in containers, and it is a very vigorous plant.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™