Mountain Pinks of Texas

wantonamara Z8 CenTexJuly 7, 2014

I just adore this plant. They have these surrealistically bundled bouquets. It pops up according to specifically timed rains. They do not make an appearance every year. They are not the easiest thing to naturalize, believe me, I have been trying. Their wants are specific. They love disturbed caliche limestone rubble with water occasionally flowing over it and they like to face west or NW mostly. All day sun or mostly all day brutal exposure There are some exceptions to this rule.I will collect some seed again this year.

This was one of Lady Bird's favorites also. I was out on the road waiting for her funeral procession down SH290 from Austin to Johnson City. We were right by a huge clump of mountain Pinks. We lined them with rocks in the shape of a big heart. When The limo came by , they honked at us, the window rolled down and the arms waves at us. her love of Mountain Pinks is known by the plant lovers of Central Texas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TexasRanger10(7)

I got some of these to naturalize on my little bank but seeing them in their natural habitat is something else entirely. I love these plants. Lady Bird is one of my biggest heroes.

What is that big clumping grass closer to the trees?

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:35PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

TxR, Do you get them every year? Have they returned reliably from they first blooming?

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:02PM
TexasRanger10(7)

Yes. They've successfully self sown on that same gravel slope where I planted the original seeds in the urban prairie here. They are just now starting to bloom so it looks like in zone 7 they come on a little later than yours in zone 8. I'll post a shot but its nothing like that bank you have. LBJ planted them on her runway in the gravel where it slopes so I believe they need that. Some that have germinated on ground here where the rain collects ended up rotting but I do have one blooming down by the street next to the curb where its lowest. The color reminds me of pink and light green candy mints.

Here are three shot in early June, they are the fuzzy plants in front of the blue cactus next to the liatris. I've got babies up for next year. Lady Bird would be proud, its not a gravel runway but its the closest I have.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:46PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

This success makes me so happy. What direction does this slope face?E,W, N,S?

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:58PM
TexasRanger10(7)

South facing inferno, full day of blazing hot sun with gravel & concrete adding to the heat. I threw some seeds out back where its not so torrid and its half day sun in any area. A few came up but none made it to bloom stage.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 4:18PM
TexasRanger10(7)

Whats the large clumping grass? Is it muhly?

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 4:19PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I don't know. I wasn't focusing on it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 3:11PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I took a close up a week and a half or so ago...I thought they were sedums till I looked them up.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 10:33AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

dbarron; SO, they grow wild in Oklahoma too. Good to know.Is this in the Arbunkle mountains?Where did you find them in OK. Are we looking at limey soil or are Wichita mountain granitic soil?

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 11:01AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

No no...I was in the area just south of Lake Travis west of Austin when I shot it;)

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:14PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

OOOH , you were in my neck of the woods. Was this in Bee Caves , Lakeway area? Was it on Hamilton Pool road? LOL.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 12:11AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Err yes (both), that one was on the way back from Hamilton Pool, first gas station toward Austin basically.

I saw the ones in Bee Caves area on way home also..

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:31PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Hill Country Market Is the convenience store I go to. . LOl. Next time wave. I think the hill I took the picture of was the next bank around the curve downhill from the market. Really close . Hamilton pool is my neighborhood "country club" I go swimming there at 5'oclock right before closing. I do bemoan that now that the lakes are non existent that the pool is SO crowded.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™