Heart-Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias cordifolia) seed

mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)July 8, 2013

Based on photos of this milkweed, posted to another thread by Mark (wildflowerman_2000), I purchased seed and would like to try growing this lovely milkweed.

I would love to hear from anyone having experience with Heart-Leaf Milkweed (Asclepias cordifolia) milkweed.

Should the seed be cold stratified and if so, for how long? I've kept the seed in the fridge but don't know how long to hold them before attempting to germinate. Since their native range is west coast and rather dry, I'm curious about the method of germination.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterflymomok(7a NE OK)

Check out Butterfly Encounters for information on how to grow this milkweed. I know he has it for sale. I've tried a couple of times with no success.

Good Luck!

Sandy

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

Thanks, Sandy. If you didn't have any luck, then it's probably a losing cause. This milkweed has such a lovely bloom, I just had to give it a try. I've lived in California and know how different the humidity can be in our neck of the woods, comparatively speaking. And if these plants naturally grow at higher altitudes, then the daytime temps would be what we'd consider lovely spring or fall days, temp wise. So maybe we're fighting both high temps and humidity here.

I received an email from Joyful Butterflies, the on-line vendor where I purchased my seed (BTW, beautiful big healthy looking seed) and she wrote to say her on-line growing suggestions were to be discarded. She now believes the seed needs more cold stratification than she originally thought. I'm going to hold the seed in the fridge for two months and then try germinating half my count. Will keep back half in case this try is unsuccessful.

Mary

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Agalinis auriculata and other imperiled species for your garden
Has any of you tried to introduce a locally imperiled/endangered...
WoodsTea 6a MO
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Sponsored Products
Crystal Bakehouse Two-Light Wall Sconce in Silver Finish with Handcrafted, Polis
Bellacor
Area Rug: Gold Botanical Ash Grey 8' x 10'
Home Depot
Morgan Hill Outdoor Wall Sconce
Lightology
Feiss Lumiere 15" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Elk Lighting Industire Vassar Way Bookends - 93-9088
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Hand-Tufted Spirit Leaf-Print New Zealand Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™