Has anyone had any experience ordering from Roots & Rhizomes?

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)February 21, 2013

I got a catalog in the mail from "Roots & Rhizomes" out of Wisconsin. It's always nice to sip a cup of tea and peruse a colorful catalog on a winter day. They have gorgeous daylilies as well as irises and many other perennials. I had no idea that there were so many daylillies in so many colors. I just wondered if any of you have ordered from them and if so, what was the quality of the plants and your overall satisfaction. The prices aren't cheap but are reasonable and some less fancy varieties are inexpensive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asarum(z6 Boston)

I like the catalogue, but have never ordered because of all the negative reviews in Garden Watchdog

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 11:42AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Thanks, I'll have to look at those reviews.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 2:55PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

I've always been tempted by their catalog, but never bit - I seemed to recall that they are associated with someone (and I can't for the life of me remember who it is) that made me not buy from them.

For daylilies, (and I think irises too) I've always had luck with Gilbert Wild - which is kind of ironic because after I purchased from them for several years, I heard that their reputation isn't all that great either! But I've always been very satisfied with their plants and service.

Dee

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 6:41PM
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

The "Wilds of Missouri" have always been my daylily source, and Shreiner's Iris Gardens for irises. Good size rhizomes, hundreds of choices, and very good deals for quantity purchases.

Carol

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 8:53AM
molie(z6 CT)

I've been pleased with the daylily plants received from Maryott's. They have a good range of price and quality plants, plus their "bonus" plants have always been wonderful surprises.

This year we plan to go up to Bloomingfields Farm in Gaylordsville, CT, because they offer several beautiful "whites" that I saw at a visit to Hollister House in Washington, CT.

This post was edited by molie on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 11:32

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 10:08AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I'm finding that I prefer to go to local nurseries and see what I'm getting. Tranquil Lake in Rehoboth, MA has an excellent selection of daylily and iris plants, along with other perennials. I also find the Farmer's Daughter in Kingston, RI to be an excellent source. They have many unusual items and there are excellent display gardens, as well as a butterfly house. It's very organized and a pleasure to walk through. Briggs in Attleboro, MA has a nice selection too. I think I will use mail order only for items that are impossible to find locally.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™