purple cone flower

chuck11July 2, 2006

I have p cone flower in the garden for 3 years now.I thought that it should be in bloom by now. They haven't bloomed yet. Is this to be expected? It seems late.

Thanks for any comments.

Chuck

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
candyinpok(5b or 6, NY)

What zone are you in? Are they in full sun? Mine are just now blooming, but they bloom every year, even the year I started them. They reseed for me and spread everywhere, so I have more that I ever wanted.

Candis

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 2:55PM
chuck11

Not sure what zone but in NE Iowa.I also had them bloom the first year and every year after. I planted them in with a prairie mix from Ion exchagge. Some black eyed susan and 1 or 2 others, I just had thought that they bloomed earlier but maybe not. Plot is 600 sq feet next to same size vegtable garden. It would be fine by me if they took over flower patch as long as they did not get into vegtables. They have stayed in bloom sveral weeks and I really like them

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 5:09PM
ourfamilygarden(6)

Hi! Mine are just starting. I've uploaded a 2 pics (one from a week ago, and one today), for you to compare with.

HTH :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Purple Coneflower

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 5:28PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Mine are just starting to bloom now. We had a warm winter, and a decent amount of rain(for once!), so I feel they're about 2 weeks early. I'm not complaining, though! April

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 7:27PM
jim_6b(TN)

I grow Echinacea tennesseensis and they have been blooming for about 3 weeks now. The ground here is so dry its starting to crack but the coneflowers are doing great. If anyone wants any seed email me later this summer.
Jim

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 10:28PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

Around here (central PA) they aren't yet in bloom, even the ones that were here last year. I have never taken note of the exact date when they start to bloom, but some time in July seems about right.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™