2 more id's

kek19July 8, 2007

what's this, the circled vine. Next to it is cockscomb I planted. I have morning glories planted somewhat close, but they haven't bloom, so it's not a seedling, plus the leaves are shaped differently.

And this stuff, its all over. (not the fleabane, the green foilage stuff) When it was 1st growing, I thought it was Queen Annes Lace. When it was really small they looked the same. I have a lot of QAL in that area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

The first one looks like bindweed.
Your second picture is really dark but looks like ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 12:17PM
kek19

The second one is most definantly ragweed. I did some looking up on bindweed, and it looks like hedge bindweed. I think I might chance moving it to a spot that doesn't grow things well and I won't mind it trying to spread. The flowers are pretty. Then again...if I let it flower, it'll reseed... Never mind, I just read that it's illegal to grow it in Michigan, but then again, it also says it's illegal to grow and or sell Morning glories, but those are at every nursery...weird.

Anyways...THANKS carol23!

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 12:56PM
janet_e(6B PA)

The first plant isn't hedge bindweed, or any other bindweed in the genus Ipomoea species. It's a vine in the buckwheat family, most likely Polygonum convolvulus. This has the common name black bindweed, though it's unrelated to the morning glory-type bindweeds. It does sometimes show up as a garden weed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polygonum convolvulus

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 11:27PM
kek19

I don't know, on the link below it compares Field bindweed, hedge bindweed and the buckwheat vine, and to me it looks more like the hedge bindweed pics. I potted it up, I guess I'll see if it flowers like bindweed or the buckwheat vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: bindweed

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 12:42PM
kek19

Ok Janet, you win! Its the Polygonum convolvulus. I found another one, in bloom. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 10, 2007 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™