Arrowwood viburnum--pruning for overgrown?

Bioteach44July 19, 2012

We are restoring our backyard wildlife habitat. The above picture is the west boundary of our yard. It has a significant amount of arrowwood viburnum, with long drooping branches that touch the ground. Is this considered overgrown? Should I consider hard pruning to restore it and encourage more growth in the spring?

The right side of this photograph (white tipped leaves) is asian bush honeysuckle that is ready to be removed. There are a few others we have marked in between as well. I was considering a witch hazel in that area maybe? or chokeberry?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

I found a Youtube video. You can search " pruning Viburnum dentatum " to see results on the net.

Here is a link that might be useful: Youtube video pruning

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 7:57AM
Bioteach44

Thanks for this post! Do you think using this method that I could lightly prune some of the dead undergrowth as well as some of the long, drooping branches at this time of year? I'd love for it to be about 10ft tall...but I want it to stand up, not droop! I just don't want to prune midsummer if I'll risk loosing the plants

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:27AM
carol23_gw

As long as enough foliage remains, you don't risk losing it. Does it flower well for you? Sometimes shrubs become lanky if there is not enough sunlight.

All dead should be removed. I would do that first to see what is remaining. I would then follow back to the ground the stems that are too long, and remove some completely. As the pruning video shows, don't leave bare stems sticking up. Prune them to just above some leaves.

If you are having drought, I would wait for a soaking rain before starting the pruning.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:33AM
jclay321(Z6 NY)

I like my arrowwood to grow tall and act as a screen, but I do prune to about half some of the larger limbs every year. About 1-4 limbs per shrub, usually in late winter. This way they get bushier over time while I still maintain some height. Most of mine are growing in partially shade and still grow upright. Probably would be fuller and flower more if they got more sun.

Jeff, (hamptonsgarden.com)

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 7:45PM
wisconsitom

Sorry for getting to this so late. Maybe OP is still around?

For all species of multi-stemmed shrubs, the all-around best treatment is occasional to yearly renewal pruning. In this type of pruning, you select for removal the oldest, stoutest and most mature "canes", which you cut at ground level or as near to ground level as you can, without dinging up the remaining more juvenile stems. By doing so, you are favoring the more vigorous younger stems, which will help with flower/fruit production in many cases, as well as helping to keep the plant a bit more manageable. This is not easy work by any means, but it will allow an older shrub to remain youthful and vigorous more or less indefinitely.

+oM

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™