Solomon's seal information

anita55(zone 6 NY)July 22, 2007

Good morning everyone. I was out in the woods this morning checking on the native plants that I bought from the Master Gardner sale earlier this year. The Solomon's Seal looks beautiful. Will it spread or do I need to add more to make a stand of them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anitamo(5)

I have a ton of them, but they were all here when I moved in seven years ago. Every year, I find more and more seedlings. They do take a couple years, I suspect, before reaching flowering size. If you have a lot of patience, wait and they will spread. But if you want more now! then plant more.

I love this plant.

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 2:43PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

It will spread, but on its own, very slowly. The berries are highly favored by critters, so its not a prolific re-seeder.

Sometimes I help mine along, by picking the berries, pressing them into the soil, and covering with leaf litter. It gives the seeds a bit of protection from the rabbits. Though I think the chipmunks and squirrels may still be able to find, they just are less likely...

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 2:43PM
anita55(zone 6 NY)

thank you!

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 3:10PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Goodness, if Soloman's Seal is happy..it will spread like crazy...not necessarily by seed, but by rhizome. I'm over-run with it, LOL!

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 7:30PM
lily603(6)

my solomon's deal is dead! it bloomed and looked lovely (as it has for many years) and quite suddenly turned yellow and died. help please

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 8:30AM
esh_ga

Do you have voles - plant eating critters that tunnel underground? You might want to dig down and take a look at the roots.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Id. plant
Help with the name , please
bromelia2010
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Agalinis auriculata and other imperiled species for your garden
Has any of you tried to introduce a locally imperiled/endangered...
WoodsTea 6a MO
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™