Native Plant Recommendations Needed- Miami

atrox(7- N. Atlanta, GA)July 28, 2008

I am a relatively new gardener and new to extreme south Florida. I am trying to incorporate as many native plants as possible into my mostly container garden- and have done so pretty successfully in the sunnier parts of my yard. My problem now is that I need some good recommendations for pretty natives that can be grown in mostly shade in pots that will fit on a large-ish bakers rack (4 shelves, 2.5 ft across, 5.5 ft tall, shelves can fold down for a few taller plants).

I also need to know WHERE to get these plants, as I have had little luck with local nurseries (even ones that say they sell natives).

Here is a list of natives for the Miami area:

http://www.fnps.org/pages/plants/plants_by_county.php?county=DADE

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

Woodlander Nursery and Nurseries Caroliniana are great to deal with and would have some Florida natives, even while they are in the Carolinas. They only ship in the cooler months. Both have websites.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 1:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loris(Z6 NJ)

The perennials I recognized on the list mostly need sun. I know a couple of the ferns mentioned do fine in shade, but I donÂt know if you want to include those. I listed 2 shade perennials below which I have in my yard which I checked and saw that theyÂre native to Florida (although I donÂt know if to your county).

Polygonatum biflorum (SolomonÂs seal)

Dicentra eximia (native bleeding heart, turkey corn)

On the site I linked to below, you can use the combination search with state and light requirments to get some more ideas in case there aren't more responses.

Good luck with your project.

-- Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center search page

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 9:45PM
More Discussions
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis)?
Hello. I found a pile of Cardinal flowers by the roadside...
adidas
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™