Native Pond Plants

ahughes798(z5 IL)July 18, 2006

Does anyone know of native pond plants that would cover the water's surface? I know water lillies would...but raccoons keep eating the ones I try planting. The tubers must be raccoon candy! Any other suggestions? I have a small, 120 gallon pond. No fish. Lots of waterbugs, though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

The coolest one I can think of is water shield, Brasenia schreberi. Its flowers aren't wowsers but the foliage is very nice. However, it may require deep water and I haven't seen it widely available. The toughest one I can think of is water smartweed, Polygonum amphibium. The flowers aren't that much different from ordinary snartweed, but it can cover a lot of water in a short period of time. Both of these have leaves that actually float on the water. If you'd consider things with leaves abouve the water, one of the native arrowheads, such as Sagitaria latifoliam might work. I've got some arrowhead from northhern Wisconsin that's colonized a similar-sized pool in a raccoon-infested neighborhood in Chicago, and it's been left alone.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 2:43PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Thanks, Neil. I actually have a grass-leaved arrowhead growing in a basket in the pond, and the raccoons did throw it around a few times, but they must have decided it wasn't edible, because they haven't bothered it lately.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 11:01AM
rachelneil

The underwater leaves of the yellow pond lily are a good source of food for beavers and muskrats who can eat them all through the year.
They'll be back for their munchy, I'm sorry!

Here is a link that might be useful: wildflowers/ for nature lovers

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 12:21PM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Thanks for the link, Rachelneil.

My pond is too small for muskrats or beavers to bother with!..it's also made out of plastic. The birds like it, and deer and raccoons seem to like it, too..there's a definite animal trail through my back yard that leads to the pond. April

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™