Purple wildflowers on 287?

ladychroe(z6 NJ)May 24, 2005

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if someone could help me ID those pretty purple wildflowers that are blooming along the highways this time of year. I see clumps of them everywhere. There is a large patch on 22 East in Somerville, and another on 287 North approaching Basking Ridge. Can I buy these? Would I want to?

They are loose spikes of purple hyacinth-like flowers, sometimes with lavender or white clumps mixed in. They kind of resemble a butterfly bush, too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wardw(z6 NJ)

Could be money plant? The ones in my yard have just shut down and set seed, but I still see some blooming around the area. You often see them in waste areas or growing under large shrubs where mowers can't reach.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 4:45PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

Although I've not seen them (I try to keep to the back roads), I'm going to bet it's dame's rocket - which is considered to be invasive although I love it.

I had some for a while then it disappeared. I noticed a patch today at work and thought maybe I'd take a clump to try to get it started again.

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 7:08PM
wardw(z6 NJ)

NJ Tea - you might be right, I hadn't thought of that.

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 9:30AM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

Dame's rocket it is. I read that it is an ornamental gone wild and is very invasive in New Jersey. But it sure is pretty, isn't it?

Thank you!

Bookmark   May 25, 2005 at 11:37AM
Katrinawitch(Zone 6b NJ)

I'm in Metuchen and commute to Hunterdon County, and have noticed them, too!

My favorite is along Rt. 78, between 287 and Lebanon. They have beautiful purple and white wildflowers, that kind of look like poppies, growing all along the median. They haven't started blooming yet, but it's nice to see them!

Bookmark   June 14, 2005 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Preparing for spring
So I was lured by temptation at lowes and bought seeds...
eterprincess
Finally Got Garlic Planted Today
What a beautiful day today! A bit late, but should...
agardenstateof_mind
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
Looking for Linnaea Borealis (Twin Flower)
I am looking for Linnaea Borealis (also called Twin...
tjtb
WANTED: Wanted: Garlic to Plant
I'm in central NJ, somerset county. I'd like to get...
achang89
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™