Black eyed susan wilting too soon

house_beautiful(9)August 2, 2012

I grew some black eyed susans from seeds in a container this year. They have finally started blooming. But the bloom lasted only for a week, and the flowers started wilting after that. I have attached the photo. I water the container using drip irrgation (1 min everyday). What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It's a watering issue. Adhering to a set schedule is not going to be appropriate for most gardening situations. And I'd wonder about duration......is one minute sufficient to fully hydrate the entire container?

How much and how often to water is going to depend on container size, the number of plants in the container, the type of potting soil used and weather. In full sun, heat and in a smallish container, you may have water more than once a day. When you water, water as long as it takes for the water to run freely out the drainage holes, then do not water again until the top inch (inch and a half) is dry to the touch.

In the nursery we water everything on a pretty much a daily basis (sometimes more often), depending on size. But we lift each container and judge its weight - a heavy container can skip a day; a lightweight container needs water :-)

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Please help diagnose Dracaena Janet Craig's problem
Hello. I got this Dracaena Janet Craig from Lowe's...
kyuti31416
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
Dust & Insects in Seeds. Still OK to be planted?
Hi, i have a pack of wheatgrass from about a week ago....
rosche
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™