Gaultheria procumbens

NB_2009(7a-Long Island, NY)July 14, 2013

Hoping someone can tell me what happened to my teaberry. It's been in this spot for over a year along with two other teaberry that show no symptoms. Leaves dried out about two weeks ago after plant appeared healthy and put out new growth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

That looks to be a very open, even sunny, location. Also maybe somewhat dry? If so, that is pretty opposite of what wintergreen would like - mostly shade and with a moist, acidic and relatively organic soil. Dislikes heat and dry.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:26PM
NB_2009(7a-Long Island, NY)

Thanks for the response gardengal. The reason why I'm concerned is because I have two other teaberry plants adjacent to it that show no symptoms. Plant is about four feet away from a wood fence on the east side of my property.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 2:09AM
esh_ga

Any possible herbicide drift from nearby neighbors?

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:14AM
ncrescue

Yup. Looks like environmental damage to me. Never spray when there is the least bit of air movement!

And it could have come from the local highway group or electric company, as they spray often, and without regard to drift. I have damaged plants in the mountain, and although I have a "no spray" sign at MY property, the adjoining lands do not. Consequently, when they spray, some chemcial drifts down to mine. Sad.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 12:05PM
wisconsitom

Could also be that your friendly neighborhood dog relieved himself on that one plant. This could lead to such damage, and is worth considering, given that nearby plants of same type were unaffected.

+oM

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 12:41PM
NB_2009(7a-Long Island, NY)

Thanks for the replies. Is it possible that it'll bounce back. Thinking about it now, I do have an issue with dogs urinating on this side of the property.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Matelea baldwyniana
I am looking for seeds and/or plants of this species...
wildflowerman_2000
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Trillium project
Hello all - Here is a picture of some of the trillium...
jebfarm
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™