what is this thingamajig?

mamimo(Sunset 16)August 24, 2005

A while ago, I saw someone stick a long (about 2-3 feet) stick into the soil. Along the side of the stick are little notches that catch soil when he pulled it out. By looking at the soil caught in each notch, he can tell what the soil is like at different depth. Does anyone know what that stick is? I've looked at the garden centers and catalogues, but couldn't find anything like it. Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's a soil probe. There are many different kinds, brands, and at a wide range of prices. As a practicing consultant, I could not do my job without one. I use them all of time.

Here is a link that might be useful:

    Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 4:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamimo(Sunset 16)

Ah I see, the mystery is solved. Now I have the correct search term to feed into Froogle. Thanks!

    Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 10:29AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Building House, Bermuda seeding question
Hi I am building a house in Tennessee and was planning...
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
Transplanting Daffodils
I bought daffodils for easter. Now that they're pretty...
Front of house needs advice to make front look more appealing
Please help with some ideas for planting perennials...
Carol Ann
Sponsored Products
SteamSpa Saunas & Steam Units Royal 12kW Touch Pad Steam Bath Generator Package
Home Depot
Four Vetro Gold Water Goblets
$380.00 | Horchow
Justice Design Group CNDL-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Cylinder with Melted Ri
$300.00 | Hayneedle
Tribal Burst Pouf - Fuchsia
$238.99 | Dot & Bo
Justice Design Group FSN-8703 - Aero 3 Light Bath Bar - Hourglass Shade - Polish
$340.00 | Hayneedle
Indoor Area Rug: Fashion Natural 5' x 7' 9" Plush
Home Depot
Astor Polycarbonate Modern Transparent Blue Dining Chair
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Tayse Rugs Rugs Impressions Blue 5 ft. 3
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™