Anyone had experience with Eucomis in zone 6?

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)March 17, 2012

I've seen some photos of a beautiful burgundy leaved Eucomis (E. Oakhurst and E. Sparkling Burgundy). Different sellers online give different hardiness ratings, all the way from zone 5 from one grower, to zone 8 from another. If they truly are zone 8, I obviously wouldn't try to grow them. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
molie(z6 CT)

Bill,
Never have grown these but I checked E. "Sparkling Burgundy' out on Fine Gardening's website. This is info from the article:

Noteworthy characteristics: These tender bulbs with strap-shaped leaves are from dry screes and annually damp meadows of South Africa.
Care: Plant bulbs 6 inches deep, in fertile, well-drained soil in full sun. In cooler climates, plant in containers for garden display and overwinter in a frost free location. Water freely in active growth; they do best if dry when dormant.

Maybe you could treat them like dahlias and dig the bulbs up in the fall? Or plant bulbs in pots that you sink into the ground and overwinter in a garage? They're beautiful and would make striking accent plants. Worth the attempt, I think (if not too expensive).

Molie

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
Anyone lose trees/limbs/children to the Blizaard of 2015?
Did the recent snow storm(s) damage anyone's trees,...
edlincoln
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs z4b-5a NH
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™