little black bugs and spots on petunias

rgwhis(z7 OR)August 15, 2005

How do I get rid of these little black spots and bugs on my petunia plants. They are all over on stems and leaves. Turns my plants brown.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You don't give much to go on. Just a guess: bugs = aphids, black spots = sooty mold or other fungal pathogen

I've never used this on 'tunias, but I've used it on lots of other plants - try it on one stem first: 50:50 mix of 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol:water with about 6 drops of dishsoap per quart. Soak leaves and stems, paying particular attention to undersides. This remedy has no residual effects, so you'll need to remain vigilant and treat at least once/week. If I was you, I would obtain some cold pressed neem oil and add it to the mix. Neem works slowly (takes 1-2 weeks to see full benefit of results), but is wonderful as an anti-feedant and a sterilizer (inhibits the metamorphic cycle) and is extremely safe.

Al

Bookmark   August 15, 2005 at 9:43PM
jen288

Hi!
I too had the same problem. I did a pretty intensive search on GW and this is what I came up with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caterpillar dung

Bookmark   August 16, 2005 at 1:12PM
dmontillo

Hi!
I have the same problem with my petunias. Here's what I my research lead me to...the answer!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 9:26AM
dmontillo

Although my earlier reply may be what you're experiencing, following more research, I think what you have are bud worms. In the link below, scroll down to the section that reads, "Let's start with the Tobacco/Geranium/Petunia bud worm" for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weidners

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
valencia orange tree
We bought a Valencia tree 4 or 5 years ago and its...
coralroses
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Where to plant on side yard?
Hi there! I'm planning on building my first raised...
Robin Goodrich
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™