wildflower edging?

spat72(zn_9/10)July 16, 2008

I have an area layed out with a hose that I want to make a mini wildflower meadow. It is irregular shaped and aprox 200 square feet. I am curiouse what to use as an edging that will keep out the lawn grass. I plan to wildscape the entire property over a period of several years so a simple implimintation is desired. This is a brick hard clay soil. I attempted some stones but took about 2hrs just to get 3 in the ground and ruined my pick. Will native bunch grass fill in as an edge. I could run the tiller along the edge. Beats the hell out of me but done it before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob64(6)

There was a thread about this on either this forum or the woodland forum. You can dig a shallow trench to slow down the encroachment of lawn grass. You will have to beat back the grass once in a while with almost any system. Sometimes I dig a shallow trench and lay logs in it to make an edge/border. Laying the log in the shallow trench keeps it from rolling around. Some people use bricks or pavers flush with the soil surface. You can also buy flexible metal, wood or plastic edging. You will also want to heavily mulch a few inches inside the edges of your flower garden. Sounds like a great project you are working on.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 5:07PM
lemecdutex(z15 CA Petaluma)

You might need to soak the clay and wait a few days before you work it. I don't think I'd work clay soil that was either too wet or dry. Personally, I think stones would be the nicest, and of course the longest lasting.

--Ron

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 12:44PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I mostly use just a shovel cut along the edge of the lawn with perhaps 4 to 6 inches of scraped soil, then the garden. This looks nice and neat when I first make it or after I have just spruced it up, and it allows me a place to run the wheels of the mower so i can mow right to the edge of the lawn without cutting anything in the garden. TO do this I simply take a standard garden shovel and cut the edge of the sod to make a nice edge. After repeating a bunch of times I have a neat edge for the lawn. The lack of any edging material makes it really easy to repeat the procedure if grass spreads or weeds grow. ANy time I have put stones, logs, etc. for an edge I get weeds in around the material and it becomes a pain to have it there. The plain dirt method is a lot easier to maintain, and I think looks pretty nice if kept neat.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Which of these native grasses/oats/sedges will spread via roots?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Which...
njbiology
Sponsored Products
Garden Party Wreath - 24" dia.
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Anise Ocean Wildflowers Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$281.70 | Bellacor
Nourison South Beach Grey Rug 5' x 7'6
Overstock.com
Quoizel Park Rose Tiffany Style Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
French country rattan wildflower basket
Origin Crafts