Talinum paniculatum, pearls of Opar

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALJuly 23, 2012

When this showed up in a pot a few years ago, I was charmed and continue to adore this incredibly floriferous plant and it's see-through little flowers up in the air. What do you think of this plant? Besides seeds, obviously, does it creep? I wonder about using it in a bed. How much sun can it take?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

I have 'Kingswood Gold' in full sun. Each plant is individual and doesn't creep, but it seeds heavily so I'm going to remove a lot of small plants. It compliments a gold tipped Chamaecyparis.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:23PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Thanks! That's good to hear. The spot I have picked out is in a bed with a million oak sprouts so something easy to pull will seem, well, easy.

Wondering why I said "pearls" instead of "jewels?" Oops, one common name is enough.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 9:44AM

Found pics my honey took (with his actual camera, not a phone) of a close-up of these flowers. Each one is so tiny and looks like a little swirl of butterflies or something when the wind blows it. The leaves have a really pleasant, soft, "juicy" feel to them. So sweet! I deadheaded this year and it's been blooming for a long time, still sending up new stalks.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 5:27PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Beautiful!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 9:26PM

I think so too! Had the blessing of cloud cover yesterday which is much better for taking pics, IMO, so snapped one of the whole plant. It may be 4 but at least 3 years old.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:25AM

It is a pretty plant. Pity it is not hardy in my zone because I'd certainly invite it to my gardens otherwise.

I remember first running across this plant in a seed catalog many years ago...many decades ago, really. It was the name that caught my eye. "Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar" was the first of the Tarzan books I read when I was young. I found the book at my grandparents' house - forgotten so I "adopted" the book. Came home to sit on the shelf next to the Conan books I was loving to read at the time - By Crom, I was a fan before any of the movies! Good memories. Sometimes it's the name that can really make or break the appeal of a plant, isn't it? ;)

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 2:33PM

Yes, quite an alluring moniker, especially when you (I) don't mess it up. LOL! I think you'd get satisfaction growing it as an annual, albeit a late bloomer. Some seedlings here are starting to flower in the past week although the mama's been going for a while. If you get a chance, worth a try. If it made seeds, (which ripen quickly,) it might start a patch going.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 3:07PM

I'll have to try it. I've been an avid gardener since I was 10 but I was dreadful awful at starting seeds for most of those years. I could do anything with plants save start seeds - other than direct sown veggies and summer annuals which never were a problem. In the the last 10 years, seeds and I finally clicked. Many things you could only get as seed I've been going back and trying. This will have to be one I try next season. Thanks!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 4:35PM

Hope it goes well, good luck!

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:53PM

Evening shot.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:41AM

Beautiful!

FataMorgana

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Trillium project
Hello all - Here is a picture of some of the trillium...
jebfarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™