Established Forsythia (3+yrs) are suddenly wilting and looking il

Saxidani(5)August 20, 2014

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my forsythia shrubs and am not really sure where to look. My forsythia were transplanted to our new home three summers ago. They have been doing splendidly and have grown by leaps and bounds, some are upwards of ten feet or more now. However all of a sudden it seemed like over night one seemed to be wilted, a few days later the one next to it is wilted, and a third is beginning to wilt as well. It's progressing from the back corner of our property line up towards the front of our property line.

We haven't introduced anything new to the yard that could have infected them with something. I looked at the leaves and they don't seem to be chewed on by anything or the like and I don't see any insects.

Our summer hasn't been too hot, and we have had a decent amount of rain at pretty regular intervals.

I am desperate not to lose these as they are the only thing offering us privacy in our back yard from a less than savory property next to us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Did you look at the ground around the shrubs? Is the ground disturbed - by an animal digging or the like? Is there any damage to the trunks (again, by an animal, or a weedeater)?

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 7:30PM
Saxidani(5)

I went out and checked around the bases of them and nothing seems to be disturbed or out of place. There has been a lot of stray cats around the neighborhood this summer, but I don't see any evidence of them digging back there to do their business.

My backyard is also completely fenced in with four foot high chain link fence, and there is no gate. Entry is only possible from the garage or directly through the house.

I hand weed around all of the bushes and trees out back, so no trunk damage.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 8:38PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

I just googles forsythia wilt, and there is at least one fungal disease that affects forsythia. So that's a possibility. I do recommend that you post your question in the Shrubs forum here on Gardenweb. I also recommend that you check the soil to see just how wet/damp/dry the plants are, just to be sure.

I am just about positive that the people on the Shrubs forum will point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 10:40PM
Saxidani(5)

I will cut and paste this to the shrub forum like you suggested, I wasn't sure where to post this at first. :)

I checked the soil, it doesn't seem too dry but I am wondering if I should water or not, they are forecasting rain for my area today and tomorrow and don't want to risk over watering if we get heavy rain.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
tanya117
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™