Is my trumpet vine dead???

franJ(5)August 11, 2005

I transplanted my trumpet vine days ago and the next day it looked dead....Could it be dead in only a day? It was 4 yrs old and had flowers blooming on it so I thought it would be safe to move....HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Nothing to be done now except try to give it some shade if possible & keep soil well watered but not saturated. Deciduous (lose their leaves in winter) plants are very particular about being dug up & moved while in leaf. Next time, you'd be better served to wait until leaves fall before moving a deciduous vine/shrub/tree. Would you want major surgery performed while you were wide awake? ;o)

Al

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 7:41PM
username_5(banned for no reason)

More likely it just dropped it's leaves due to the stress of being dug up and moved. I agree with Tapla that there are better times to move it that during the prime growing season (almost nothing likes being moved right now), but trumpet vines are fairly hardy in your climate and I wouldn't count it out until you see what it does next year. Most likely it will recover fine.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 8:16PM
sylviatexas1

I bet it'll recover.

I once was given a trumpet vine root (rhizome? tuber?) in August.
August here is horrible.
I my own self go dormant.

I planted it, &, as soon as I saw green emerge, I put cardboard shields on the western & southern sides to protect it.

Just put sticks or stakes in the ground, 2 by 2, & slide the cardboard edgeways between each pair.

xes are stakes & -s are cardboard.

x x x x
--------------
x x x x

(This is the best I can do for a diagram, I hope you get the idea!)

Today it's a monster.

A plant's *most* vulnerable times is when it's flowering:
it's expending all that energy to attract pollinators & assure the survival of its DNA, & it doesn't have energy to devote to repairing damage to itself.

I've had my best luck moving things in late autumn, when they're dormant.

They'll wake up next spring & not even realize they've been moved.

Trumpet vines really are hardy;
my little orphan is huge & robust now, & I'll bet yours will be, too.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 9:58PM
gingerinnewyork_yahoo_com

Hi,

We have a trellis on our roof covered with a trumpet vine rooted in pots at the base of the trellis. Is it safe to move the trellis and pots over just a few feet if the vine is in full bloom or do we have to wait?? Thanks.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 7:28PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

andrew - If the plant's roots are completely in the pot, it won't hurt it to move the pot and vine as long as the vine isn't broken during the move. Try to keep the plant facing the same direction as now (some get really sulky at facing west instead of south). I hope you have lots of help, because a tumpet vine large enough to grow over the roof is going to be quite, quite heavy. Possibly if you can fit a heavy tarp as support under the vine, and then use your helpers to move the vine/tarp and pot as a single unit, it could be done without major damage to the plant. Personally, I wouldn't try this until the vine was dormant: fewer bees, less weight without greenery, and less chance of upsetting the plant.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 8:05AM
More Discussions
Transplanting Daffodils
I bought daffodils for easter. Now that they're pretty...
rvs053063
Newbie question about greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Sponsored Products
Trumpet Cocoa 28 to 48-Inch Curtain Rod
$25.95 | Bellacor
Gallery Versailles 3-light White Crystal Mini Chandelier
Overstock.com
Golden Vines File Box
$495.00 | Horchow
Venetian Rain Black 25" High Outdoor Hanging Light
Lamps Plus
Bocci | 21.5 Five Pendant Chandelier
YLighting