ID Plant Reacting To Touch

madmatt100August 23, 2005

Hello:

While visiting relatives, they showed my family and I a plant in their backyard. It seemed to grow from a central root area, with shoots going in multiple directions within a 4' radius. There are reddish-brown leaves/petals on each shoot.

What is most peculiar is that, if one were to brush one's fingertips on either a subshoot,or a petal/leaf, the entire length of the subshoot or petal will deliberately contract on itself; touch a shoot, and one can see an entire length close towards the main vine in seconds (forcefully as well, not merely imagined).

Would anyone be able to Identify this interesting plant? All my relatives could say was that it's kind were being given away at a local flower ship with purchases. If anyone has a guess, please let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I think prayer plant does that, but it's a houseplant.

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 10:07PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Sensitive plant....a variety of mimosa...rather common.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 10:30PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Prayer plants don't respond to touch. Their form of response to environmental stimuli (tropism) is called nyctinastic tropism....reponse to night and day. Thigmotropism is the reponse to a physical touch of some sort. The Mimosa pudica ('Sensitive Plant) is a very common weed in many parts of the country, and considered an oddity by those who are not familiar with it. I've seen it sold in supermarkets, etc.

If this isn't the plant in question (it's impossible to tell from your description), I'd be surprised.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 12:14PM
vdixit

I think rhizo1 is right. It could be Mimosa pudica. I remember it from a high school project about such peculiar plants. We used to call it "Touch-me-not". It would shrink back upon touching it.
Vaishali

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 5:18PM
vroomp(z7Ga)

I have a Mimosa pudica that I brought home for my daughter to tease. It is now over 4 feet in width and 1 foot high. I plan to use them as ground cover next year in one of my beds. It blooms regularly with fifty to one hundred of these little purple pom poms every few days or so. And actually, entire branches will droop in response to stimuli. It's a defense mechanism which exposes the thorns on the branches to animals attempting to eat the leaves.

Mimosa pudica

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 5:08PM
firethorn(Zone 4 MN)

If the stupid thing is a weed, then why is mine dying? :^(

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Sprayed roundup weed killer
Sprayed roundup weed killer on my lawn by accident....
stephen
Cleaned out gardens at new home and found some plants...Now what?
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to gardening in general....
Megan Williams
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
gardening supplies for beginners
What basic supplies do I need for a vegetable garden? I...
JadeOpalIris
Sponsored Products
Red Carpet Studios Chimes Antique Glass - 10831
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Large Stainless Steel Planter
Grandin Road
Esher Plant Stands (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Vineyard Cast Iron Hanging Plant Bracket - Black Powdercoat
Signature Hardware
Palermo Woven Planter
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
ViaVolt 2 ft. T5 High 4-Bulb Output Black Fluorescent Grow Light Fixture with Ti
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™