What is/causes this prominent white streaking?

funnthsun z7A - Southern VAJuly 21, 2014

I have a hosta, War Paint, funny enough, that shows white streaking (and it's not what I would call "normal" white streaking) in it. Here's a pic:

Another member posted about an ID and this same subject came up, so decided to start a thread about it. Hopefully, Bluerose will also post her up-close pics of this as well. I'll also link to the post where her pics are shown.

So, what do you think this is? Anyone know? It seems unique and, especially with War Paint, it weird b/c War Paint is variegated and the variegation fades and it goes more green, but this white section remains, so it seems to be separate from the normal variegation. It's a head-scratcher, indeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the link to the other thread with similar streaking

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

Hostas are unstable by nature. That is why there are so many named sports. They all weren't from hybridizing the seeds. Be happy when you see that. I would be. Stuff that shows up like that this year, often doesn't return next year, so take pics, and enjoy.

-Babka

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:54PM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

This doesn't look like normal streaking to me. It's different, the color doesn't look like it's a part of the hosta, but almost painted on. It's hard to describe, but Bluerose's pics show it better.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:59AM
smorz(4b)

I agree, it is the instability of hosta that causes this. I have a gold standard that consistently does this every year, purely random leaves and eyes but remains a gold standard (otherwise) year after year. However, I have a unstable halcyon split into two separate plants, that does this but they also threw two sports I divided off to see what they become (if anything).
I watch for variations that deviate from the original plant, some call this sport shopping. Although the white streaks seem so common to me now I usually don't pay much mind to it... except in the case of this halcyon it was quite prominent throughout a mature plant, so it was easy to take a chance on it since it was about to become road kill to make way for a driveway.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
donrawson
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone get Flickr photos to work?
I've read through the attempts at getting photos to...
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™