growing dandelions-HELP

coldwheathercrop(6A)July 9, 2010

ok, it's absurd, but i really want to grow dandelions in a pot. i took some local soil (which unfortunately is very poor and clay-ish) and im waiting for the soil to warm up a bit. could someone give me some advice or some reason not to do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

Not a native plant but considering its ubiquity in lawns I don't see any reason not to. Are you thinking of growing them for food?

Dandelion seed has no dormancy so they will germinate soon after planting. They like soils low in potassium and organic matter and high in nitrogen and phosphorous, and high sunlight. Pretty much the conditions that suit a lawn are perfect.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 6:21PM
coldwheathercrop(6A)

cool. thanks a bunch.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 7:40PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

To add to what lycopus has said, dig up a small dandelion from your yard and pot it up. Larger plants have too big of a tap root. If kept indoors, I entirely expect the dandelion to die down for winter and not be a year-round grower. As with many herbs, I also expect indoor culture to have too little light for its full sun requirement and so it will languish. Use as deep of a pot as possible.

I would suggest the Herbs forum if you have additional questions on growing dandelions.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Annuals, Biennials, and Short Lived Perennials
I am interested in compiling a list of the above, mainly...
ncrescue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™