Help with new northern bayberrys

solitude5(7)July 23, 2012

I'd like some help deciding what to do with 5 northern bayberry's I planted. They were bare root plants and put in the ground about a month ago. There has been zero growth on them. I don't want to dig them up if they are just taking their time, but it seems unusual that there has been no growth. Is that normal? Thanks for the assistance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

As long as the leaves aren't turning brown they are probably fine. They would probably benefit from frequent watering their first year though.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:42PM
kaliaman

lots is going on underground, roots are growing and getting used to being where they are. and yes, do keep them well watered till established.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 10:26AM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

If it is slow this year, it may also be slow next year, but then it will shoot up. My biggest plant almost got mowed over because it languished for the first 2 years. I have a low tolerance for languishing plants. By languished, I mean that while the others grew a foot and made a dozen small offsets, this one stayed about 6 inches and produced not a single offset. Today, the others are nice clumps, and the languishing one is about 3 ft. tall and this year (5 yr. old) it made a forest of offsets. I just wish I had a male. What are the odds you plant 4 plants and they are all females.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
Mountain Mint/Pycnanthemum questions
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Hoary...
topie
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™