Forsythia gone limp

UrbanGardner100August 29, 2013

I have a Forsythia plant that just doesn't seem to be doing all that well. I've watered it properly and mulched it. Most recently I added some compost to it but it's still hasn't done anything to really help. I would feed it miracle grow food every few weeks but that hasn't helped either. The leaves are limp and no matter what I try these just don't perk up as it used to. It's a young plant that I got earlier this year. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Have you checked the moisture content of the original rootball? If so, is it dry, moist or wet?

Likely you need to drizzle water directly onto the original rootball.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 10:32PM
UrbanGardner100

So you mean dig it out check the moisture there, water and replant?

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 12:18AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

No. Stick your finger into the rootball where it now is.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 1:46AM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

When was it planted, and was it purchased as a potted or bare-root plant, or was it dug up and given to you? Basically, how much of the root mass was lost before you planted it.

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 5:17PM
Mike Larkin

I would feed it miracle grow food every few weeks but that hasn't helped either. I assume you meant I did feed it every two weeks -

You have over fertilized your plant. - this will inhibit the roots from taking up water. OR CAUSE IT TO WILT.

STOP the MG.

Hopefully it survived the summer fertilizer treatment. And the soil is not flushed free of the N P K.

I rarely fertilize my plants, and when I do it is a granular organic fertilizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Design Ideas

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 10:58PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Is there any mulch below the surface? (There shouldn't be unless/until it naturally it works itself there.) These few chips of wood do not constitute having mulched. That would require at least 1 whole bag in a circle around the tree, as far out as it will spread at a depth of 2-5 inches, depending on average particle size. For pieces of wood that size, I'd go with a thick layer, and probably 2 bags, making a circle at least as wide as the drip-line of the canopy. There's never a wrong time to add a layer of mulch, unless the ground is muddy and you're trampling footprints.

However, looks like there's some grass trying to creep in on what you already cleared for this planting. If you put a layer of overlapping cardboard around the base (no closer than necessary to suppress what's growing around it,) under the mulch, you won't have to worry about the grass growing up through the mulch, which it certainly will if not smothered or pulled first. Then installing a little border around the mulch, to separate grass area from mulch area, will keep both on their side of the line.

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
Does anyone read gardening books anymore?
Am I the only one who likes to read gardening books...
tanya117
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
Anyone ever have trouble with colored mulch?
I bought and applied some beautiful red colored cypress...
eden72
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™