Non Invasive, Low-growing flowers?

bojo96(z5 IL)September 2, 2005

I'm looking for a pretty red, white or pink flowered plant that grows no taller than 18" and is non invasive. Everything I come across seems to be at least somewhat invasive...any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Julie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

What do you mean by invasive? Spreading? or something that seeds all over out of the area?
If you never ever want to have to pull something out or cut it back....you better be thinking annuals....but you will have to plant them every year....unless you get something that freely reseeds and then it could be considered invasive.
If you are looking for a plant that is pretty, low growing and that you never ever have to do anything to....best be thinking plastic plants.
I like lamium for a pretty low growing plant....I do have to pull some of it out when it spreads further than I would like....but it blooms white and pink and has nice varigated leaves and comes back every year so I don't have to replant.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 10:16AM
gardengal48

I'd agree that with your restrictions, annuals may be the best way to go. Most perennials will achieve heights in excess of 18" with maturity, but very few of them are what I'd consider invasive or aggressive spreaders or reseeders. You might want to consider sedums or stonecrops - tough, hardy and drought tolerant plants. Low growing carpeting ones DO spread but very manageably. Upright ones may get taller than you wish but height can be controlled by pinching back in early season.

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 11:55AM
creatrix(z7 VA)

What season do you want the bloom? Aster 'Alert' is small and blooms red in late summer. 'Pardon Me' Daylilly has red (not cherry red) blooms and will bloom sporadically through the summer. 'Veronica Red Fox' is about 18" and has a fairly long bloom if deadheaded.

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 7:09PM
sylviatexas1

Dianthus is nice.

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 9:33PM
maineman(z5a ME)

Moss rose (portulaca), impatiens, petunias, marigolds. There are also low-growing zinnias.

MM

Bookmark   September 2, 2005 at 10:20PM
Tiffany_Rose(z7 VA Nor Neck)

I always do my borders in alyssum and lobelia. Alyssum does reseed itself rather profusely, but it has a shallow root system and is easy to weed. Lobelia will fry in the heat of VA but it comes in blue, red, and pink (maybe more colors). They are both less than 6" tall.

Depending on the scale, miniature roses or carpet roses are small, colorful, and bloom prolifically in a variety of colors.

Bookmark   September 3, 2005 at 10:31PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

ajuga, forget-me-nots, shorter versions of shasta daisies(Snow lady or Silver Princess variety)Marigolds, verbena,creeping phlox, california poppies, portulaca, short daylily. What about dusty miller? Even Ice plant, verbena. What about some of the mini daffs?

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 3:53AM
More Discussions
Root Ball
Hello, I had to take out a few dying shrubs and now...
katetrav
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Need help with white-spot in plants....
Hi, i'm new in gardening, and in need of help with...
rosche
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™