Horrible flower beds

cheesecake104September 11, 2008

When I moved into this house, the flower beds were terribly overgrown with grass and weeds. After weedeating and upon closer inspection I noticed that there was about 8-10 inches of rocks underneath that! I tried to shovel and haul off the rocks, but there are just too many! Is there anyway I can just cover this up with something so nothing ever grows here again, or maybe something I can spray that will kill anything and everything, so I can put some woodchips down and have a nice looking area?

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't believe that I would use anything permanent to cover the rocks up. You may decide to (eventually) hire someone to get rid of them once and for all, and that would simply make it more difficult. But you could certainly spray with RoundUp (active ingredient glyphosate) to kill everything.

Should things continue to emerge after you've applied a healthy layer of chips, it would be easy to do spot spraying.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 12:20PM
sylviatexas1

You can lay down overlapping layers of cardboard to smother weeds & grass (zero dollars expense!).

As rhizo says, don't do anything that would prevent removing the rocks or make it more difficult.

If you can put down some decent garden soil & compost on top of the rocks, you can plant some shallow-rooted things that like dry conditions, since the rocks form a porous "sieve" that will make water drain off very rapidly.

don't know what plants to suggest in your area;
here, I'd go with portulaca, sedum, & smallish yuccas.

Best luck!

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:30PM
greenbean08_gw(PNW)

You could try offering the rocks on your local CraigsList or Freecycle group. You may just find someone who wants them, and will come and take at least some of them away.

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 2:06AM
More Discussions
Stopping grass growing under picket fence
We have moved into a new home. The front border has...
Ennoh
killing weeds
I read what one member does to kill weeds around her...
CAPERNIUS
braided willow ficus- need help
\ I have a braided willow ficus, which I got at lowes,...
pschmitz
container gardening
Q: when using a self watering pot for plants, do I...
CAPERNIUS
Leaves on Pachira aquatica turning brown and falling off.
I left for three days, came back and noticed some yellowing...
jeremyb83
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™