What berry tree is this?

ohitsallamaJuly 16, 2008

There is a small tree growing in my yard that produces these red berries. They have sort of a speckled/frosted look to them. It is fruiting right now. Can anyone tell me what it is? I have provided a link below to a photo.

The birds love it. (mockingbirds, robins, and cardinals... even squirrels seem to like the fruit.

http://www.geocities.com/ohitsallama/berry1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sam_md

Autumn Olive or Elaeagnus umbellata an introduced Asian weed. We see them by the zillions in abandoned lots, trash heaps and waste areas.
Sam

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 9:15PM
ohitsallama

Thanks very much. I read that it is considered invasive. I rent and found it in my yard this summer in a somewhat forgotten corner. Would you recommend getting rid of it?? It's not really my property per say.... is it really harmful or just adaptable?

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 12:03AM
wild_forager

Autumn Olvie if you ask me. First, eat the berries (after positive identification). Then get rid of it. They taste quite good, especially baked with pork chops and apples!

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 8:45AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

Autumn Olive, and the related Russian Olive, are both very invasive. If you have one in the yard there are probably thousands of others in the area. That means that removing your one bush wouldn't make a whole lot of difference and might not be worth the hassle since you don't own the yard. On the other hand, one bush is a small step in the right direction, and if I was you I'd remove it. It almost certainly grew there on its own so the owner won't mind or even realize it is gone. the berries are edible and sort of tasty. i think they are better later in the year, even after the first frost.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
Indian story or legend about Sassafras leaves
This is a little out of the ordinary, but I am looking...
Wildflowergma
Elm scale
I planted a Princeton Elm in my front yard 2 years...
aew75
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™