Forty + Liatris aspera die suddenly in sand site

plez(SW MI)July 23, 2007

This happened in May/June of this year on the edge of a 240 acre savanna/prairie restoration in SW Michigan. The plants came up this spring then disappeared without a trace. Ideas? A L. aspera colony of perhaps 100 plants only 50 feet away, but across a single lane gravel road, is doing fine. Mole predation? Soil conditions? Karma? God's will?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Definitely not moles. Moles don't eat plants. They're insectivores and eat only soil insects and earthworms.

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 5:42AM
carol23_gw

It would have been a good idea to look in the earth there to see if the corms had rotted or were eaten. Voles eat plants and rabbits really love Liatris. They defoliated mine some years ago to the point it died.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liatris pests

Bookmark   July 25, 2007 at 9:37AM
dragonfly_dance(z7 SENJ)

You may have meant voles, voles can wipe out your plants. They just eat the roots away and when you go to check your ailing plant it come right up in your hand, which is agood sign of them.
Now could it be something else? could a weed killer or other toxic substance gotten blown through there? This happened to me, my neighbor powerwashed his house with chemicles and killed 18 years with of gardening in 2 weeks time. In this case leaves will curl up and turn brown like in weed killer.

There are several reasons it could've happened. Inspect the damage and contact your county ag extension, they might could tell you.

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Is this a native/what is this?
This spring-blooming, 1-2" tall bed of flowers:...
gribbleton
Prairie Plants threatened by Noxious Weeds Act
Hi, I found this great blog and information about prairie...
Johncan
Looking for Alternative for Russian Sage
Over the weekend, I was out of the state and seen some...
lovefornature
Is it cheating to use varieties that were bread from natives?
For example, instead of native Itea virginica, using...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™