Plumeria in NJ?

lilybug(z7 NJ)May 7, 2005

I'm from south Jersey, and headed to Florida in 2 weeks and thinking of getting a plumeria cutting. Has anyone had success (or failure) with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

A motel patio I visited, locally, had plumaria in big pots for the Summer. I am sure this is all you can expect from this beautiful plant. They must winter them indoors in a bright place.

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 7:28AM
trishmick(z7NJ)

I've had success so far. My mother-in-law brought me up a cutting last summer. I kept it inside for the winter naturally, but I don't think these plants need bright light during those months because they go dormant even in south Florida. It is outside now and the leaves have sprouted. I keep it in a spot with full sun and provide ample water. Go for it. Great flowers and fragrance.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 8:43PM
leigh711(z6)

trishmick, I hope you brought back the Plumeria! Last year my brother cut off a "Y" off of his tree in April that I then split again with my Aunt. I stuck my 2 small remaining pieces in potting soil & had beautiful flowers by summer's end ~ (this year, it's a different story~ just about every perennial is slow to leaf out/bloom)

Bookmark   May 28, 2005 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
Straw Bales for sale in NJ?
Reading "Straw Bale Gardens" and wondering...
jlr518
Anyone Starting Vege Seeds Now?
I know it is still early, but just wonder. Some takes...
redsun9
Best way to overwinter shrubs
I have 2 potted Knockout Roses and 1 mini Rhododendron...
debvg
How are you protecting your plants from winter?
(I cribbed this post from jersey Girl to start a new...
ellenr22
WANTED: Wanted: Garlic to Plant
I'm in central NJ, somerset county. I'd like to get...
achang89
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™