Where can I find a substantial potting bench?

javaandjazz(z6 CT)March 2, 2011

I'm in southern CT and looking for a potting bench. Nothing cheesy, I would like something that will last. Would prefer not to order online but if I have to I will but would like to get locally. Has anyone seen any around? Thanks, Richie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)

This is a used one on craigslist but it may not be big enough, only 48" wide:

http://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/2229797821.html

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 12:55PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Richie, a little while back someone in Milford was selling a pretty nice one on craigslist for fifty bucks. The only reason I did't get it myself was that I had no way to transport it.

I don't know if this particular one is still available, but you might want to check craigslist. (it was most likely the New Haven CL, but might have been Fairfield Cty) I haven't been out and about much to see if there are any available locally in stores.

Good luck!
:)
Dee

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 3:32PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Another option would be to find a carpenter or builder to build you one. The economy being what it is, many builders are looking for work, and that way you would get exactly what you want.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 8:40PM
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

I would consider building one. I built mine from the plans listed in one of my Garden Gate magazines. I've posted to link to it below. The picture in the link is rather small. If I have time this weekend, I'll take some pictures of mine to show you what it looks like up close. I've been extremely happy with it. Mine is in the basement so I didn't take the time to stain it or paint it which you may want to do if yours will be outside. Take note that this potting bench is really heavy. You really need to build it in the area where it will reside. It would be really difficult to move it to another location after it was built.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potting Bench plans

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 11:04PM
diggerdee zone 6 CT

tree oracle, that's a pretty nice-looking bench! Lots of room! Too bad I can't build anything. Been seriously thinking of taking some woodworking/carpentry classes though....

:)
Dee

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:12PM
spedigrees z4VT

You are probably looking for something more polished and less rustic than this, but it surely has to be durable. From the junk garden web, a potting bench made from pallets:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg0208082812766.html?17

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops
Yes, I know you think they're just cute little white...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - March 2015
Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us...
NHBabs
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™