Goosefoot Leaves Red Underneath?

at_walker(4)July 4, 2008

Every reference I have seen to goosefoot - specifically lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) - refers to the underside of the leaves being "whitish".

I have many plants in my garden that appear to be lambsquarters. The leaf shape is distinct, isn't it? Lobed except near the tip? I have field guides and have checked some Web sources and the leaf shape looks like a match.

However, when the leaf is turned over to expose the underside, "whitish" is not the first word that comes to mind. "Red" is. Maybe a whitish haze over the red, but most definitely, these leaves are green on top and red underneath.

It is early in the season (July 4, 2008). Perhaps this is a feature that fades with maturity? Am I looking at Lambsquarters or something else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbs_illinois_4(z4b Illinois)

I have seen a LOT of Lambsquarters in my yard (I finally started eating them and they are way better than spinach!) and yes, I frequently see a dark red on leaves, ussually toward the stem, and the stems a deep maroon. As I recall, they are usually the smaller plants, so you are probably right about the maturity.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 11:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbs_illinois_4(z4b Illinois)

...it's NOT native, just in case you posted here because you thought it was. A plant that makes itself at home wherever it goes!

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Most Underused Native Trees
What are the most underused native trees?
edlincoln
Buttonbush: sun or shade?
I have a question about a plant I received for free...
crabbygardener
Create well-adapted strains in the garden from foreign ecotypes?
Hi, Of course, it is ideal to cultivate the most local...
njbiology
Recommendations for native conifers
Which native conifers would you recommend planting...
tomp123
Arum italicum - how to eradicate
I've just learned how invasive this plant can be. I'm...
shelley_r
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™