Mountain mints are REALLY easy to root....

frillycarnationsJuly 10, 2006

in case anyone was wondering...... I rooted some in water and replanted out in ground. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janet_e(6B PA)

Thanks for posting the tip! I failed in an attempt to grow mountain mint from seed this spring, so it's nice to have another option.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 10:30PM
catfishsam

How are mountain mints different from regular mints?

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 11:25PM
njtea(NJ Z6)

I just pull some out of the ground and stick it in someplace else. Actually, it's becoming a tad bit invasive, P. muticum, that is. The other one, I think it's P. tenuifolum, is less invasive.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 12:20PM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

Catfisham wrote:
How are mountain mints different from regular mints?

Catfisham:

Mountain mints are related to regular mints, but are in a separate genus and are not, as far as I know, used for flavoring foods, at least not very widely used. The mint family includes many genera including the mints used for flavoring (mostly in genus Mentha), bee balms (genus Monarda), and Mountain Mints (genus Pycnanthemum). If you have grown any mint such as Spearmint (Mentha spicata) you would recognize Mountain mints as close relatives. Mountain Mints have herby or minty smell to the leaves and spread like garden mints, although not quite as rapidly as some. There are a number of species native to the eastern US (PA has about 8), most of which grow pretty easily in the garden or meadow. They aren't spectacular in flower like bee balms, but are easy, attractive, and native, so they are pretty popular with wildflower gardeners.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 1:21PM
yarthkin(6-7a)

catfishsam,

Mountain mints are not as agressive, attract butterflies, and often have attractive white or silvery pubescent foliage. Best of all, same minty flavor and makes good tea (should be avoided though if pregnant).

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Agalinis auriculata and other imperiled species for your garden
Has any of you tried to introduce a locally imperiled/endangered...
WoodsTea 6a MO
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
Avoiding Spreading Invasive Beetles
I was trying to find sassafras, which it turns out...
edlincoln
Echinacea tennesseensis
Does anyone here know the difference in the endangered...
jim_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™