leaves curling under = not enough water?

annewaldron(SoCal,10)September 6, 2005

My vinca, which up to this point has been doing fine, suddenly has started to look a bit droopy (especially the blooms) with some of its leaves curling tightly under. before I start watering it more, I want to make sure that this is a sign of not enough water.

Thanks,

Anne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Sounds thirsty to me! Whatever it is....a bit of extra water can't hurt!
Linda C

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 2:55PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Well, yah, extra water can hurt! It's call root rot.

But check the soil -- feel it. Is it wet, moist, or dry? And to what depth? Now you know the answer! :>)

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 11:18PM
plantgurl(z6a/b-7 Tenn.)

jean001 is right, it can be Rhizoctonia (root/ stem rot) or Phytophthora (aerial blight). More than likely it's the first one. If, at the present, only some of your Vinca have it, it will only be a matter of time before the rest of them get it. Rhizoctonia is caused by too much water. The roots cannot take in the water that is surrounding it, and therefore, rot. Another problem is the stem will begin to hollow and sink in, this causes the leaves to wilt and curl under, and eventually the plant will collapse. There are treatments, but, depending on how much damage has already ocurred, the Vinca may not be able to be saved. I have included a link that has information regarding treatments. Start right away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca Disease Control

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 10:05AM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

I've seen a lot more gardners with plants suffering from drought than root rot....
In southern California?...Hot and dry?

Rhizoctonia is sometimes called "southern blight" and you will see little orangey spots on the stem....and certainly on the roots.
Plants die from it when they are stressed, usually by drought and then suddenly lots of water is supplied and the weather is very warm and humid...green house conditions...
The organism is pretty endemic in the soil, especially if you plant a lot of nursery grown plants.
Unless your soil is very wet, it's likely dry conditions causing the leaf curl. Plants need more water as they grow....the leaves transpire more.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 11:22AM
annewaldron(SoCal,10)

Crap!! Well I stuck my finger in the soil this morning and it seemed awfully "loose" i.e. easy to stick my finger in (?) and it was VERY moist- although the sprinkler had come on a few hours earlier. And I also saw an earthworm leaving it for the other bed (?). The weird thing is that there is another vinca in this bed that has been there for several years.

We have the sprinkler come on every morning- I think it used to be every other day, but I made my BF change it- is it too much??? I'm freakin' out a bit because now that I'm thinkin about it- I don't think it's not enough water....it may be too late!!! Crap!!!!

What should I do??? : (

Anne

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 3:41PM
annewaldron(SoCal,10)

It's not really hot/dry where I live. We're close to the beach, so we get fog, cool evenings, and not-so-hot days. Plus this is a partial sun, entryway "bed"- surrounded on all sides by concrete, next to the front door. WITH its own sprinkler head! Iy-yiy-yiy, this is all starting to sound like I'm probably drowning these things...

help!

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
My fruitless Mulberry ð"
Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and gardening....
ericamiami
Hey guys.. i need help with strawberries
Okay so I'm fairly new to growing strawberries. Where...
danny.wullve
Would you create a facebook gardening group?
Or do you have one already? I am a member on a few...
LullabyF360
What is this and what does it mean?
There have been little bubbles that harder up on the...
JaviAir
Hedge Help
Hi there I am a complete gardening novice. We have...
slmccabe25
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™