Swamp Loving Hedge

edlincoln(6A)July 9, 2013

What native New England shrub can grow into a conventional hedge shape and can survive in a swampy area that is flooded in the Spring? It is intended to create a border with a tiny wetland. Berries, flowers, or evergreen would all be good traits, but I don't expect all three. Should be low maintenance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dr.liz(7 NJ)

Maybe buttonbush? Haven't grown it yet myself, though. It defintely tolerates wet, and the flowers are great, but I'm not sure about the hedge part. I'm thinking maybe an informal hedge, not something clipped like a yew.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 9:52PM
RugbyHukr(23)

A lot of Viburnum can tolerate seasonal wetness.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:11PM
edlincoln(6A)

What species of Viburnum are native and like swamp?

So far the suggestions I've got are:
Blueberry
Winterberry
buttonbush
Viburnum
Blackberry
Roses
Swamp azala (Rhododendron viscosum)

Not native, but I like it anyway so I'll put it in...Hydrangias.

Which of these can make a dense privacy hedge? Which can be trimmed into a formal hedge shape?

The idea is to plant it along a fence at the bottom of a slope. On the far side of the slope is a wooded wetland inhabited by frogs and deer that is swamp all year. On the near side is a yard that is flooded in Spring inhabited by various domesticated predators. Not sure if the plan will be to replace the rather ugly fence or hide it. Zine 6. There is part shade and nearly constant wet right next to the fence, but if you step a few feet away it becomes seasonal wetness and full sun.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:41AM
dr.liz(7 NJ)

Honestly, buttonbush is worth considering. It is one plant that really tolerates wet feet, even flooding. I would highly recommend checking out Donald Leopold's book, "Native Plants of the Northeast." Maybe you can find it in the library. He has an appendix listing plants that favor wet conditions. Willow, alder, and Bayberry are also worth considering. Bayberry is a very tough plant that is commonly used as an informal hedge.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:09AM
More Discussions
What to plant this time of year
Here, in south Tn it is cold damp, freezing aat night,...
Tinbucket
Which of these wildflowers will spread via roots to form colonies?
Hi, For the benefit of creating a useful list... Out...
njbiology
Monarchs: Liatris special
Hey-it looks like the migration is starting up here...
dandy_line
Photos of Natives on Tumblr
Hi all, I have a small (1/4 acre) woods here in Minnesota....
misterpatrick
ID needed - tall, yellow button flowers
These are currently in bloom, wondering what it is?...
SnailLover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™